When I used to run competitively I remember always being concerned about avoiding the things that would disqualify me. Sometimes it was unavoidable, but 99% of the time there were things I could do to avoid that awful reality.
So I’ve been thinking a lot about how I live lately. Then I read 2 Corinthians 6:3 which says, “We live in such a way that no one will stumble because of us, and no one will find fault with our ministry.”
Here is a short list of the things Paul mentions as potential disqualifiers for people running with the good news of Christ. Now these things don’t separate us from the love of God. It doesn’t disqualify us from relationship with Him. He loves us and accepts us, but these arer potential stumbling blocks to people hearing the good news.
– Not able to endure tough times with grace (vs 4)
– Taking the easy road and not working hard (vs 5)
– Living with impurity (vs 6)
– Being unkind (vs 6)
– Leading in our flesh rather than in the Spirit (vs 6)
– Being unloving (vs 6)
– Not preaching truth (vs 7)
– Preaching without power (vs 7)
– People pleasers (vs 8)
– Never joyful (vs 10)
– Living extravagantly (vs 10)
What are other ways we disqualify ourselves from being heard? Which of these do you struggle with? There are three that I always have to watch out for (impurity, leading more out of flesh, and people pleasing).