As a church, we are in a series called “On Mission” and we are discovering together what God has called us each to individually and to us as a church. This morning I read, “Then the Lord took Abram outside and said to him, “Look up into the sky and count the stars if you can. That’s how many descendants you will have!” And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith.” (Genesis 15:5-6, NLT)
Three things jump out at me this morning:
1) God showed Abraham what He would do through Him.
2) Abraham believed what God showed him.
3) God was pleased with Abraham because of His faith.
Two questions for us:
1) Have you spent time listening for God’s purpose over your life? Have you spent time reading His word to discover what He wants you to be and do? Have you contemplated your “chazown”, your purpose?*
2) If you have, do you believe it? Do you believe it enough to start walking it out? Making decisions based upon it? Talking and praying as if you truly believed it?
I’m with two friends this week at a monastery in Mt Angel. Yesterday I spent the bulk of the afternoon going through my values, my mission, my goals for 2014. It was a fresh reminder of what God wants to do through my life in my family, in my church and in my community. But here’s the catch, I have to do it. God won’t do it for me. He won’t make me walk it out. His purpose for my life will happen as I take one step at a time with intentionality.
Tomorrow I will share with you what I discovered and what God is speaking to me personally for this year. Have an awesome day!!!
*Check out www.chazown.com to help you discover your purpose.