Good leadership responds effectively to the need for more leaders and workers. Appar- ently, no one took a vote to determine the identity of these people. The leaders were chosen. The leadership of the early church practiced the ABCs of leadership.
Believed in them.
The apostles had specific qualifications in mind for the leaders they wanted, and chose men who were…
1. Known from their sphere of influence —“seek out from among you.”
2. People who could serve on a team—“seven men.”
3. Trusted among the people — “of good reputation.”
4. Empowered for the task — “full of the Holy Spirit.”
5. Competent and intelligent —“full of . . . wisdom.”
6. Responsible — “whom we may appoint over this business.”